I recently made this cake for a friend’s birthday. I asked her what cake she wants and she told me she wants a funfetti cake with strawberry of some kind. I know that I can buy a funfetti box mix to make the cake. However what’s the fun in that, right? So I decided I will make the cake from scratch. I wanted a funfetti cake with a strawberry filling, and a light strawberry frosting. I searched for a recipe for several days but none of those recipes was close to what I have in mind. At that point, I decided to combine 3 different recipes to make this cake. So here’s the complete recipe for this cake, hope you enjoy it.
I decorated with some strawberry dip chocolate. The cake turns out quite cute, doesn’t it?
I adapted the white layer cake recipe from Taste of Home. I added ½ cup of long multicolored sprinkled at the end to make the white layer cake into a funfetti layer cake.
White Layer Cake Recipe: 10-12 Servings – Prep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/3 cups buttermilk
- 2-1/2 cups frosting of your choice
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg whites, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Spread evenly into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Spread frosting between layers and over the top and sides of cake.
I got the recipe for the strawberry filling from Fun & Food Cake. This strawberry filling is really good. If you need to get the vanilla bean, you can find them at Fred Meyer’s because that’s where I got mine. Tip: You should make this filling first before you get started on the cake. It takes a while for the filling to cool off.
- 1 1/2 cup low fat cream
- 2 cups strawberries, chopped
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar (optional) – I highly recommend you adding this in.
- 1/2 vanilla bean – scraped
- 1-2 tbsp powdered sugar
Making the Strawberry Filling
Place strawberries, sugar, scraped vanilla bean and balsamic vinegar in a sauce pan, and simmer till it becomes thick and jam-like. Let it cool completely. Beat cream to medium stiff peaks, and gently fold in cooled strawberry mixture, taking care not to release the volume of the cream.
For the frosting, I want to make a strawberry whipped cream frosting so it’s lighter. The recipe is originally from Joy of Baking website.
Strawberry Whipped Cream Frosting
Make the whipped cream frosting but beat only until very soft peaks form. Then add the strawberry puree or jam, and beat just until stiff peaks form. Taste and fold in more sugar or puree, as needed. If not using immediately, cover and refrigerate.
- 1 cup cold heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons granulated white sugar, or to taste
- Add: 1/3 cup chilled strawberry puree or strawberry jam
So that’s how I made a funfetti layer cake from scratch with everything my friend wants in it. It tasted really good. You can do the cake and the filling the night before, but do the frosting the day of so you don’t have to whip it twice. Good luck!